Celebration of the bicentenary of the house in Albano

On March 24, 1821, the venerable Giovanni Merlini arrived in Albano Laziale, 20 kilometers outside Rome, to prepare for the arrival of Saint Gaspar, which would arrive the evening of the following day. In this way the presence of the Congregation in the Castelli Romani region began.

Pope Pius VII, great benefactor of the Congregation, strongly believed in the young priest Gaspar Del Bufalo, so much so that he entrusted him with the project of reforming the life of the Church and the clergy, in the territory of the Papal State. A house in Albano was a strategic location for the re-evangelization of the southern area of ​​the papal state. With this reform in mind, the Pope donated a house and a church to be the logistical center of the work to be done. Starting from Albano the Missionaries preached many popular missions. The first superior of the house was the venerable Giovanni Merlini.

The house of Albano was the headquarters of the general curia from 1821 to 1838. Saint Gaspar was buried in the church attached to the house from 1838 to 1861.

The house was destroyed during the bombing of the allied troops in 1944 (only the church remained standing). It was rebuilt larger than the previous one and inaugurated in the early 1950s.

Even today the church is a place of pilgrimage.

On March 24, 2021, with a Mass presided over by His Eminence Cardinal Marcello Semeraro, Prefect of the Congregation of Saints and Diocesan Administrator of the Diocese of Albano, the event was commemorated. In addition to the CPPS missionaries residing in Albano, other confreres from nearby communities were present. The local community was represented by the mayor of Albano and by other military and police authorities.